How to increase he resistance of low bearing capacity grounds in construction projects.
In the last few years, we have seen a development in the techniques aimed at increasing the resistance of low bearing capacity grounds in construction projects. For that reason, it is currently possible to build higher quality, highly resistant infrastructures in increasingly shorter periods and with lower costs.
When undertaking any construction projects on soft lands, these are capable of transferring ground pressure that may result in failures at the embankment’s base in the event that the shear stress levels exceeded the soil’s shear strength. So you may be wondering, how can we increase the resistance of low bearing capacity grounds in different types of construction projects?
At Tex Delta we have developed a range of products that can adjust to the current needs in terms of improving the resistance of low bearing capacity grounds in construction projects.
Among these products, we would like to highlight the following geotextile and geomesh fabrics intended mainly for reinforcement and the stabilisation of low bearing capacity grounds in different types of construction projects:
In order to reinforce low bearing capacity grounds, we recommend using geotextile fabrics for the construction of:
- Dirt roads.
- Mining tracks.
- Parking areas.
- Underneath railway track ballast.
- Building work projects on limited shear strength soils.
By installing an adequately designed geotextile layer at the embankment’s base, you will manage to reinforce traction in order to increase safety in the event of embankment failure to achieve a reliable figure, thereby reinforcing the soil where the building project shall take place.
Geotextiles are flat, permeable and polymer based materials manufactured from synthetic fibres. These are mainly used for draining, filtering, reinforcing, preventing erosion and protection. By applying geotextiles in the construction of civil works and building projects you can improve their performance and durability. When applied directly in contact with the ground, it can extend the resulting construction’s useful life, in addition to improving the building’s conditions thanks to its porosity and resistance that can significantly increase ground insulation and reinforcement.
At Tex Delta, we recommend the following geotextile fabrics for the reinforcement of low bearing capacity ground at building sites:
- ALVATEX GEOTEXTILE: by using this geotextile fabric, you can increase ground resistance. Manufactured from highly resistant polypropylene fibres that provide high resistance to traction and low elongation, it is suitable for reinforcing low bearing capacity grounds. Thanks to its high mechanical resistance, the DLT GEOFORCE WG woven geotextile is recommended to improve the performance of any civil and construction works that require protection, filtration, separation and/ or reinforcement. This is also a harmless product for the environment, as it does not pollute while being 100% recyclable. In addition, it is highly resistant to damages occurred during installation while improving the soil’s mechanical properties thanks to its traction and tear resistant features.
- ALVATEX PET GEOTEXTILE: in order to reinforce low bearing capacity grounds, you may apply the Geobasic WB geotextile fabric. This woven geotextile fabric is manufactured from high tenacity multifilament polyester yarns, allowing you to achieve a traction resistance of up to 2500kN/m with very low deformation. Thanks to its high mechanical resistance, this woven polyester geotextile fabric is recommended to improve the performance of any civil and construction work that require protection, filtration, separation and reinforcement. This is also a harmless product for the environment, as it does not pollute while being 100% recyclable. Among is applications are the reinforcement of roads, embankments, walls and foundations.
- GEOPROTEC GEOTEXTILE: we recommend using the Geoprotec geotextile to reinforce grounds due to its high mechanical resistance. This type of geotextile fabric is recommended for all kinds of civil and construction works. It is manufactured from 100% recycled polyester.
We can also increase the resistance of low bearing capacity grounds by using reinforcement geomesh fabrics for works such as:
- Road and railway embankments.
- Soft land embankments.
- Embankment stabilisation piles.
- Soils in industrial areas and shopping centres.
- Inclined slopes and hills.
- Retaining walls and green walls.
- Canalisations, river banks and coastal areas.
Our geomesh fabrics are network structures covered with products that provide protection when used in construction works. They are specifically designed for soil stabilisation and reinforcement. Using a geomesh fabric shall ensure a correct distribution of not only loads in embankments, foundations and pavements, but also live loads, on any low bearing capacity soil where these are installed.
By installing a geomesh fabric we shall achieve:
- Increased ground bearing capacity.
- Prevention of soil fine loss.
- Improved load distribution.
- Reduced tensile shear.
- Ground stabilisation.
- Sturdiness and adequate draining.
Geomesh fabrics are a cost effective solution for ground reinforcement. By installing a geomesh fabric when constructing or maintaining roads, you shall achieve a significant saving due to its cost effective price. In addition, they are more environmentally friendly. Installing geomesh fabrics shall allow you to reduce the amount of natural aggregate used as well as the volume of excavated material while also decreasing the amount of excavations required and the compaction energy, resulting in lower CO2 emissions.
At Tex Delta, we recommended the following geomesh fabrics for ground reinforcement at building sites:
- ALVAGRID PET GEOMESH: Specifically designed for soil stabilisation and reinforcement. This geomesh fabric is manufactured from high elastic modulus and low creep polyester resulting in its high resistance. It is also protected from mechanical damage by a polymer coating. This biaxial reinforcement geomesh features a rectangular mesh opening.
In addition, you shall also find geomesh fabrics to reinforce road surfaces and tread marks such as:
- ALVAGRID PET FV G GEOMESH: is a fibre glass geomesh fabric featuring a low weight geotextile fabric. It is ideal for ground reinforcement thanks to its capacity to reduce cracking resulting from external agents such as traffic loads, land movements and temperature variations that can result in cracks and deformation, making traffic flow more difficult.
- ALVAGRID FV GEOMESH: is a fibre glass geomesh fabric that reinforces tarmac layers while preventing deformations. By using this geomesh fabric, you shall increase the capacity of dynamic loads by distributing the tensions produced. Thanks to the low cracking levels achieved when using this type of geomesh, you shall benefit from a more durable asphalt layer.
For further information regarding how to increase ground resistance at building sites do not hesitate to contact us.